Friday, February 8, 2008

Why I'm for Hillary



Plus I just heard that Obama Girl wouldn't even vote for Obama. Man, that's just sad. To think you couldn't even get somebody named Obama Girl to vote for you if your name is Barack Obama.

On a somewhat similar note, it is a little known fact that I ran for school board when I was living in Houston. I ended up getting 20% of the vote which I considered great especially since I only spent about $200 against the incumbent school board member. I do know for a fact that I carried the "Thomas Girl" vote pretty spectacularly.

Who would have thought there would be five different people named Thomas Girl in my district? And that I would get three of their votes?

3 comments:

Anthony Palmer, Ph.D. said...

I heard about that Obama Girl fiasco also. Absolutely stupid. And the point that this is even news is even more stupid. This just goes to show you two things:

1. Talk is cheap.
2. The media will report on anything for ratings.

Could Obama's young supporters look at this news story and cite this woman as an example of what they should avoid? I think younger voters really want to be taken seriously and are tired of being written off by others as unreliable voters who simply don't show up at the polls. Maybe the non-voting Obama Girl should motivate them to redouble their efforts to take this election and their purported support for Obama seriously.

Josh Moore said...

I agree with you Anthony about the media...and I like the idea of the Obama Girl becoming the motivation for young voters to get out an vote. I do sense that this election might bring out the youth vote in larger numbers than ever before. I think Obama's campaign has done two things in particular that will make this happen:

1. It has inspired youth to hope and to BE the change they want to see. The students at my high school keep asking me what they can do...they want to do something...

2. Obama's campaign has targeted youth voters in ways that are authentic and that actually give them responsibilities, not just a place at the table, and doesn't dumb down things for them.

Good luck on your PhD...and with your students.

Thomas said...

The irony of the Democratic race is that Bill Clinton was the "youth" candidate of 1992. My college was atwitter with Bill Clinton being "our candidate" back then. (Examples: Bill on MTV talking about his underwear, Bill on Arsenio playing the saxophone.) A speech he gave in Houston during the fall of 1992 pretty much shut down part of downtown. Now Bill is just any old white dude.

What has been proven once again is that youth is fleeting. Man...I feel old.