Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Yes We Can

Oh the power of the viral video....will this be the election which is remembered as the one in which media was wrested by the commoners and used to make their voices heard? Maybe not but it is pretty interesting to consider that things like the Hillary/Apple commercial mash-up would never have seen the light of day just four years ago. This weekend the viral video world embraced a video made by Will.i.am and Jesse Dylan (plus a bunch of friends.)

I know a lot of hay has been made about the nice words verses actually doing things issue. The problem for me is that the criticism of Obama that he gives a nice speech but doesn't have the experience necessary to do the job is an appeal to fear and a bit of a straw man argument (Obama has a lot of experience just not quite as much nationally.) Anyway, I don't know about you all but, this election has made me think a lot about the X-Files, and specifically Molder's office, and the poster that he had behind his desk...the one that said 'I Want To Believe.' I've been in the Obama camp for a long time now but I've been awfully shy about it. No more. I want to believe (in his ability to change the direction of this country, not in UFO's) and chances are I'll probably be disappointed but at least for a season I'll hope and that's worth something. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

If that is Scarlett Johansson then I am with you, Josh.