Friday, May 9, 2008

The Demographic Question

So, for the last month we've been hearing non-stop reporting on Obama's demographic problem, his problem with white,working class voters.

We've heard how he can only get 30-40% of these voters and that he is perceived as elitist and that this represents a major weakness in the general election.

Fine, I get it. These Reagan Democrats are needed to win in the fall and if Obama can't connect with them in the primary, he won't be able to in the general.

Here's my question though:

What about Hillary's demographic problem?

You know the one with African-Americans and the one with middle and upper-middle class white Americans.

She's can't get more than 10% of the African-American vote and only gets about 30% of the middle and upper-middle class white Americans.

If we make the same assumption about her chances with them in the fall as we do with Obama and his problem, it seems to me the democrats would still lose.

And what's worse, many down ticket dems would lose too.

I get that this was spin by a desperate campaign but why did the media buy it hook line and sinker?

Seems like an obvious question to ask.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

This is a good point, Josh. One thing that I think the 2008 election will be good for is the death of the mainstream media as the definer of what is relevant in politics. There are serious scholars out who look for the historical trends at work who I respect greatly. I would hope people would flock in the direction of such scholars but I somehow doubt that as well.