Sunday, March 2, 2008

Anthony Palmer for President

Long before this blog came into being, I had been thinking about starting a blog focused on politics with my friend Josh Moore. Josh and I both followed politics rather closely and had thrown it out there that a political blog is something we should do together. (Plus readers at my regular blog, "American Sweatpants," were getting annoyed by all the political stories getting in the way of my humorous anecdotes about life and stuff.) Whenever Josh and I would get together, one of us would ask the other, "Weren't we talking about doing a blog together?" But we weren't doing it. We needed some kind of impetus to get us started on gitting r done.

That impetus arrived a day, a few months back, that I read a blog called "The 7-10" for the first time. It was written by a fellow named Anthony Palmer. How I found this blog is something that has been lost to history. Though I do remember being impressed from the very first post I read. The blog was simple, really. All Anthony was doing was offering really insightful stuff about the people running for president. He had opinions and then explained how he came to these opinions. Anthony's insights stayed with me. (Quite an accomplishment considering my legendary bad memory.) There have been occasions when I would quote him to other people when my clarity of thought wasn't quite there. To sum up, Anthony was offering newspaper-quality editorials without any of the self-aggrandizement we can associate with many members of the media.

Today I came across a post on Anthony's blog that mentioned he was trying to win political blogging scholarship. Anthony is a doctoral student in journalism with a concentration in political communications. I am a big believer in collecting college degrees, having three of them myself. I also know how expensive school is. (If I ever have kids, I hope they support me in my old age by helping me pay down my student loans.) To win this scholarship, Anthony must win an online poll pitting him against two other political blogs. You can vote for Anthony and his blog at this here website.

Good luck, Anthony. Let us know how things turn out, my friend.

1 comment:

Anthony Palmer, Ph.D. said...

Oh, thank you so much for this post. I really, really appreciate you posting this and for saying such kind things about me and my blog. I know I don't update it as often as some people may like, but I hope you all do find what I write to be interesting and informative. The online poll is looking good right now, but there's still a week to go. If you have access to a computer, please get out there and vote! And if you have access to more than one computer, you can even vote more than once!

Again, thank you so much for posting this. And keep up the good writing here too.

:)