Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lawyers Are People Too



I will admit to not only being a lawyer but knowing lots of lawyers. I think I am an okay guy and most of the other lawyers I know (dad, sister, family friends, cousin, friends from law school) are okay people too. I don't feel like an elitist. Also, my bank account definitely shows I am not an elitist.

I think the point of this video is just plain wrong. This video basically says, "You shouldn't get an education because that means you stop being a real American and start being an American elitist." I sure didn't feel like an elitist last year when law firms didn't even bother to send me rejection letters when I applied for jobs.

This video says that Michelle Obama is an elitist because she said she knew a lot of lawyers. But being a lawyer just means you went to school for a few more years. Every year people in our country become more and more educated. More and more people have graduate degrees. This is a great thing for our country. In 1972, only twelve percent of Americans had college degrees. Today, that number is about twenty-nine percent. A college degree on average doubles a person's annual income. A good thing, I think. The more money a person makes, the less government has to worry about taking care of this person.

So the common argument out there is that Michelle Obama and Barack Obama are elitists. I bet if Michelle Obama had taken a different path and dropped out of school, gotten pregnant, and started collecting welfare checks, these same people calling her an elitist now would be complaining about just another welfare queen on the rolls.

No comments: